Expire question

Rasmus Aaen ra at back-bone.dk
Tue Apr 16 14:09:10 UTC 2002

Hi all,

We have two nameservers responsible for our domain (byggeweb.dk). Both are
running BIND 8.3.1 on Win2000. The primary server is located at our office
and the slave is at a ISP hosting center, along with the webserver. Today
our office internet connection went down, and with it the connection to our
primary dns server. No problem, I thought; the slave name server will
continue resolving our domain. But alas! After about one hour the slave name
server expired the record, effectively shutting our website down. This is
what I don't understand, since the soa record for the zone has an expire
value of 10 days.

To get the website up again, I changed the zone type from slave to master on
the slave name server, which solved the problem. One of the suggestions to
prevent this in the future is to run both nameserves as masters, but I would
like to avoid having to sync the files manually.

Am I missing something, or is our name servers improperly configured?

/Rasmus

Here is the soa record:

C:\>dig byggeweb.dk soa

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> byggeweb.dk soa
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      byggeweb.dk, type = SOA, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
byggeweb.dk.            1H IN SOA       dns.back-bone.dk. dns.back-bone.dk.
(
                                        2002032201      ; serial
                                        1H              ; refresh
                                        30M             ; retry
                                        1w3d            ; expiry
                                        1H )            ; minimum

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
byggeweb.dk.            1H IN NS        dns.back-bone.dk.
byggeweb.dk.            1H IN NS        dns2.back-bone.dk.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
dns.back-bone.dk.       1H IN A         130.227.165.202
dns2.back-bone.dk.      1H IN A         195.215.12.120

;; Total query time: 0 msec
;; FROM: WKS77 to SERVER: default -- 130.227.165.202
;; WHEN: Tue Apr 16 15:57:16 2002
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 29  rcvd: 144

-------
[Denne E-mail blev scannet for virus af Declude Virus]
[This E-mail was scanned for viruses by Declude Virus]