Expire question

Rasmus Aaen ra at back-bone.dk
Tue Apr 16 17:52:54 UTC 2002

<phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu> wrote in message
news:a9hge9$bcl at pub3.rc.vix.com...
> Do i understand you right : the local network with the slaveserver
> was isolated from Internet, and within one hour it lost capability
> to resolve the slave zone ?
No, the local net with the master server was isolated from the internet, and
within one hour the slave server expired its slave zones.

> One possibility that strikes me is :
> the nameserver has a name "dns2.back-bone.dk." and the 'A' record
> for that name has teh embarrysing short TTLof one hour. Well,
> after one hour, it tries to get this info from Internet ( since it
> is not auth for "back-bone.dk." and fails. After this failure
> it's goes introverted and refuses to work.
The slave server _is_ auth for "back-bone.dk". And in the Application log I
see "slave zone xxxx expired" messages for all the zones on the server.

> Why not call it "ns.byggweb.dk" and assign it a reasonable TTL ?
I really don't see what the name of the server has to do with fact that it
expires records before it should.

/Rasmus