local only root names?

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 16 18:10:36 UTC 2002

In article <a9hon7$bnd at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Michael Rehbein <tiripsbeta at hotmail.com> wrote:
>i work at a small isp in a town with few computer literate people, who are
>often calling because there email is unable to contact the server 'pop3' or
>'smtp' (the defaults outlook express puts in if you don't type anything)
>
>is there a way to give an ip to assign dns records for pop3 & smtp without
>causing problems outside our isp?  or is this a non-issue?

You could configure your caching servers as authoritative for the "pop3"
and "smtp" top-level domains.

It may also be possible for your DHCP server to send the client machines a
default domain to use for unqualified hostnames.  Then "pop3" will be
looked up as "pop3.<default-domain>".

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA