DNS/DHCP Auto-Update "not a zone"

Jan Peuker jan.peuker at janus-graphics.de
Thu Apr 18 13:27:00 UTC 2002

At first, I will excuse myself for not respecting the rules of formatting
postings to this group.
My Bind-Version is 8.2.4-RE2, my SOA-records(it thought they were the same)
are in the appended Files.
But now, my Bind-History:
I made changes to my config-files, added real names("hauptserver") and @'s,
reset the original files for localhost from the distribution and copied all
SOA-Headers.
Then, I got the message "destination address required." in my warn-log for
dhcp, what I supposed to be a DNS Error again.
A nslookup to hauptserver.netzwerk resolved
 Server:hauptserver.netzwerk
 Address: 192.168.100.101

 *** hauptserver.netzwerk can't find hauptserver.netzwerk: Server failed.

This reminds me of Windows-Networks, but I think, this time it's my fault.
I found out, that recusively queries are being processed (e.g. host
192.168.100.101 returned hauptserver.netzerk).
So I added another test-entry in my files and IT WORKED. But do you now
while my old file didn't?

follow up: named.conf, netzwerk.zone, test.zone after original message