odd problems with named-xfer.

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Thu Apr 18 14:38:05 UTC 2002

In article <a9ml78$lvm at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Steve Foster  <fosters at uk.psi.com> wrote:
>The notifies are definitely coming from each of my 3 primaries for this
>domain, all of which are listed in the masters section in my zones.conf file.
>and i've received at least 6 notifies since i updated my serial number on
>the primaries, just no attempt at AXFR , strangely though, we reload named
>on the primaries every hour, and i receive a notify for each reload. At
>this time the actual filetime stamp on the secondary zonefile gets updated
>even though the headers still show that the named-xfer was last performed a
>few daya ago.

Has the serial number of the domain changed?  If not, there's no reason to
run named-xfer, since the zone hasn't changed.  The timestamp of the file
is updated to indicate that it has been refreshed successfully.

Named normally sends a NOTIFY message for every domain when it starts up,
since it doesn't know whether you've edited the zone files while it was
down.  There's a named.conf option that stops this, but I don't recall what
it is offhand.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA