Bind 9 controls statement

Saad Kadhi bsdguy at docisland.org
Fri Apr 19 12:58:21 UTC 2002

On Fri, 2002-04-19 at 02:34, Ping Zhong wrote:
> I'm testing bind 9.2 on SuSe Linux Enterprise 7.2.  If I don't specify
> controls in named.conf, the named start up fine and function fine except I
> can't use rndc.  So I added controls { inet * allow { any; }; }; into
> named.conf.  The named failed to start, the following are the log messages.
> I tried changing controls statement in varied ways but no success.  Anyone
> know of similar problem?
well you need a port statement on which named will listen. For example :
controls {
	inet * port 953
	allow { any; };
};

This is pretty clear when you run rndc-confgen(8). And if I were you, I
won't let anyone in the world control my named server remotely without
restriction. This is Really Bad(tm). I'd use a shared key at the least.

Just my 0.02euros.

--
Saad -- [pgp keyid: 35592A6D http://pgp.mit.edu]
# booth slave for hire