Bind 9 TTL problem

Michael Kjorling michael at kjorling.com
Tue Apr 23 16:35:46 UTC 2002

On Apr 23 2002 07:48 -0500, Patrick J. Militzer wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I get the following error when checking the the zone file using
> named-checkzone. It states no ttl found.
>
> Here is the zone file and it has a ttl on the second line, so what is wrong?
>
> // MILWAUKEEMLS.COM
> //
> // Domain Name: MILWAUKEEMLS.COM
> //
> $ORIGIN miwaukeemls.com.
> $TTL 86400
> @ 86400 IN SOA oceanus.mlswis.com. dnsadmin.mlswis.com. (
>                                         2002041900 //serial
>                                         10800 //refresh
>                                         3600 //retry
>                                         604800 //expire
>                                         86400 ); //minimum TTL
>                     @ IN NS oceanus.mlswis.com.
>                     @ IN A 205.254.210.126
>
> www IN A 205.254.210.126
> mail IN A 205.254.210.126
>

> Thanks
>
> Pat
>
> pmilitzer at metromls.com

I took the liberty to delete the double newlines, as I assume they
were nothing but a quirk in your MUA.

The problem is this: you are using "//" to start comments, but BIND
and the DNS spec doesn't understand that. There, it's ; (semicolon)
that starts a comment.

//, /*...*/ and # are all valid comment characters in BIND's
_configuration_ file. In zone files, ";" is the only way to go.

Michael Kjörling

- --
Michael Kjörling  --  Programmer/Network administrator  ^..^
Internet: michael at kjorling.com -- FidoNet: 2:204/254.4   \/
PGP: 95f1 074d 336d f8f0 f297 6a5b 2aa3 7bfd 8a70 e33e

``And indeed people sometimes speak of man's "bestial" cruelty, but
this is very unfair and insulting to the beasts: a beast can never be
so cruel as a man, so ingeniously, so artistically cruel.''
(Ivan Karamazov, in Dostoyevsky's 'The Brothers Karamazov')