SRV records

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 23 18:18:57 UTC 2002

In article <aa47r1$sua at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Brian Noecker  <bnoecker at jabber.com> wrote:

>Can someone help me determine why these SRV entries do not seem to work.
>
>IN      A       10.2.2.45
>_jabber._tcp.spt4.corp.jabber.com.      IN      SRV     10 0 5269
>spt3.corp.jabber.com.
>spt3            IN      A       10.2.2.45
>spt4            IN      A       10.2.2.41
>
>Now, the following does work:
>
>IN      A       10.2.2.45
>_jabber._tcp      IN      SRV     10 0 5269 spt3.corp.jabber.com.
>spt3            IN      A       10.2.2.45
>
>Following the examples in the book, it seems perfectly reasonable to use SRV
>records machine to machine rather than just domain to machine?

The suffix of the SRV record should be whatever name the user supplies to
the application.  There's no difference between domain names and hostnames
at this level, they're all just arbitrary names.

>As well is there a good way to use nslookup or dig to find srv records?  A
>dig @nameserver srv corp.jabber.com or dig @nameserver srv
>spt4.corp.jabber.com both don't return anything in the Answer section.

dig @nameserver srv _jabber._tcp.corp.jabber.com

should work.  You have to supply the _<application>._<transport> prefix,
since that's part of the name of the SRV record (the Jabber application
supplies this automatically when it's looking it up).

If you want to see *all* SRV records, something like this should work:

dig @nameserver axfr corp.jabber.com | grep SRV

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA