Can someone post a good clean CACHE.DNS file?

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Apr 25 06:55:48 UTC 2002

those who know me have no need of my name <not-a-real-address at usa.net> wrote:

> <aa73ts$69l at pub3.rc.vix.com> divulged:
>>Alex Batson <alex.batson at honeywell-tsi.com> wrote:

>>> Can someone post a copy of a good CACHE.DNS from a WindowsNT4 platform?
>>> Should my cache have the root-servers names in it, or the JGLD ones, and
>>> what's the difference?
>>
>>Create it yourself :
>>dig . ns > cache.dns

> something of a catch-22 here.  bind has a built-in list, but we're not
> talking bind here.

the above command will ask the nameservers mentioned in /etc/resolv.conf
to get the current root-server list. Not what's in the nameservers
root-cache.

Comments in the file itself also gives hints :
;       This file holds the information on root name servers needed to
;       initialize cache of Internet domain name servers
;       (e.g. reference this file in the "cache  .  <file>"
;       configuration file of BIND domain name servers).
;
;       This file is made available by InterNIC registration services
;       under anonymous FTP as
;           file                /domain/named.root
;           on server           FTP.RS.INTERNIC.NET
;       -OR- under Gopher at    RS.INTERNIC.NET
;           under menu          InterNIC Registration Services (NSI)
;              submenu          InterNIC Registration Archives
;           file                named.root
;

--
Peter Håkanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)