resolv.conf manage up to six domains ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Thu Apr 25 20:36:54 UTC 2002

Jean-Marc Pouchoulon wrote:

> Helo,
> I want to have more than 6 domains in a search directive in resolv.conf on a
> 4.1.5 AIX system.
> I compiled bind 9.2 ( wich permits up to 8 domains ) and with the new host
> command offered per bind 9.2, it works.
> But with a simple ping on a host wich have domain  in the seventh place in
> the search  directive , it fails.
> I Think the new resolver library I compiled is not use by the system, but
> only by bind 9.2 tool's.
>
> Is there is another way to manage more than six domains in a search
> directive ?

Educate your users to the fact that searchlists are evil and nasty and insecure
and inefficient and they should be using fully-qualified names instead.

They are using fully-qualified names when they go home and access the World
Wide Web, aren't they? Why should they expect anything different on your
intranet? Bookmarks tend to help a lot here.