Can someone post a good clean CACHE.DNS file?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Thu Apr 25 21:07:36 UTC 2002

> >> something of a catch-22 here.  bind has a built-in list, but we're not
> >> talking bind here.
> >
> >the above command will ask the nameservers mentioned in /etc/resolv.conf
> >to get the current root-server list. Not what's in the nameservers
> >root-cache.
>
> But if resolv.conf is pointing to your own nameserver, whose list you're
> trying to update, then it *is* a catch-22.

Not really, since BIND name servers do a system query at startup,
and ask one or more of the name servers in the root hints file for
the current list of roots.  As long as at least one of the name servers
in the root hints file is running and knows the current list, you'll get
the correct response from dig.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/8000/8000_dns_training.html
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes