Controlling cache size

John Fox jjf at mind.net
Fri Apr 26 18:16:36 UTC 2002

Hi!  My question concerns a BIND 8.3.1-REL installation.

We've a nameserver with a fairly limited amount of RAM (64MB).  Left
unattended, its cache grows to a fairly unwieldy size, drastically
slowing lookups and impacting upon customer services.  I have been
charged with finding a remedy to this situation.

I immediately siezed upon the 'datasize' option, but was told that
this does not relate to cache-management per se, and then when the
datasize limit is hit, the effect will be that named can't get
any more memory, thus not being able to perform further lookups --
which would again bring us to a situation in which customer services
are (greatly) delayed.  Not good!

None of the other options I found in the named.conf manpage seem
like they'll do the trick.  So I'm kind of dead in the water
right now.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

John