bind on standalone pc

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Fri Apr 26 23:03:56 UTC 2002

In article <aacm16$5s3 at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Jens <SHVQCHUKSNNP at spammotel.com> wrote:

>Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:
>
>> If your provider provides a reasonable "default domain" via DHCP, then
>> you should just be able to configure your MTA with the unqualified name
>> "smtp" and it should just work, shouldn't it? Why do you need help from
>> BIND here?
>
>I use multiple providers with different names for the SMTP server, for
>example mail.provider1.com, smtp.provider2.com. And for my mail
>program, I want to use ONE server name for the outgoing mail server.
>
>> For that matter, why do you need to configure your MTA with your
>> provider's SMTP server name at all? Why not just use the MX records in
>> the Internet DNS and deliver mail directly to their destinations? Is
>> your provider adding any value here?
>
>Don't know, most mail programs go through the smtp as a relay.

Mail *clients* (e.g. Eudora, Outlook) usually require a relay.  A
full-blown MTA like sendmail can do its own mail delivery directly to the
destination.

However, many ISPs block outbound SMTP, to prevent their users from
hijacking open mail relays to send spam.

>> > And with c) I want to resolv names like www.bbc.news, i.e. I define
>> > some extrax (root-)servers.
>>
>> Configure your nameserver as a root server with a version of the root
>> zone which is a superset of the real root zone. Make sure this "private
>> root" server never answers queries from the Internet, however, otherwise
>> you could poison other people's caches. Also, make sure to keep your
>> private root zone constantly in synch with the real root zone otherwise
>> you may find yourself unable to resolve names in recently-added ccTLDs
>> and the like.
>
>A zone of type slave?
>But that means that my DNS contacts the real root servers every dial
>in?

The real root servers don't allow you to do zone transfers, so you'll have
to synchronize some other way.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA