how to

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Apr 28 18:16:24 UTC 2002

Arthur wrote:

> I am looking for a good tutorial on how to set up a "private" dns server for
> a network without internet connection.

If you know how to set up a DNS server for the Internet, the
only difference is that you have to have root servers that serve
the zone "." (you may want your own "arpa." zone as well) rather
than cache it.

Other than placing these root servers in other DNS servers
root.hints files (if you have enough internal DNS servers for it
to be an issue), it is then just like setting up an Internet
server.

Cricket devotes some time to this in his book DNS and BIND, but
if you have understood the normal use of DNS there is no extra
magic in being disconnected from the Internet.