serial # too long

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Mon Apr 29 15:29:12 UTC 2002

In article <aajmi9$glg at pub3.rc.vix.com>, scratch <wmedia at xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>I set up primary DNS for teawamutu.net domain, and when I did I used the
>serial number format YYYYMMDDNNN as instructed by the manual (RedHat Linux 7
>Server by Mohammed J. Kabir). I have been informed since that this is one
>"N" too many. How do I change it to YYYYMMDDNN, as this is a lesser number,
>so I assume the secondary won't pick it up. (How do you totally reset a
>domains DNS....and start again?)

If the new serial number is lower than the old one when serial-number
arithmeetic is used, go through the following process to change it:

Add 2^31-1 to the old serial number, reload the zone, wait for the slaves
to pick up the change, and then set it to the new serial number.

However, it doesn't look like your slave server ever picked up a version of
the domain with an 11-digit serial number, because BIND 9 won't load files
like that in the first place.  It currently has:

@			1D IN SOA	pc9.scratch.net.nz wmedia.xtra.co.nz. (
					2002010307	; serial
					1H		; refresh
					15M		; retry
					2W		; expiry
					12H )		; minimum

I'm not sure why it hasn't transferred the new version yet.  I suggest you
contact them and ask them to check their logs for errors.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA