Web Sever with Multiple Domain Names

Barry Margolin barmar at genuity.net
Tue Apr 30 20:45:05 UTC 2002

In article <aams6i$mmt at pub3.rc.vix.com>,
Matt Karston <karston19 at hotmail.com> wrote:
>I have been keeping websites for several small businesses.  I setup
>and create there websites and offer some additional services to them.
>Until now I have just been using a web hosting service and now that my
>business it growing and sites are starting to become more complicated
>(using MySQL, php, cgi, etc...) I would really like to get a T1 into
>my office and start hosting these sites myself. I have a Linux server
>running, with Apache installed and setup. I know that I need a DNS
>server as well and need to some how have multiple domain names point
>to ONE IP address (the DNS Sever) then map to my web server. If you
>can please tell me this is the correct setup and the steps involved in
>setting this up and/or point me in the right direction of some good
>documentation for doing so, I would really appreciate it.

There's nothing special you have to do in DNS.  Just create the domains
normally, and when you're creating the A records you use the same address
for all of them.  On the web server you use its "virtual host"
configuration mechanism to point different server names to different
directories.

The book "DNS & BIND" explains how to set up a nameserver.

Barry Margolin, barmar at genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA