Picking a master from a list of returned IPs

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Wed Aug 14 20:58:31 UTC 2002

J <usenet at linuxnuts.net> wrote:

> Howdy all.  I'm trying to figure out how have to make Bind9 pick
> (randomly?) an IP for a master on a zone that returns multiple IPs.
> That's not worded very well.  Let me write it like this:

> I use the DNS blacklist zone relays.osirusoft.com to reject spam.

> zone "relays.osirusoft.com" {

if you want a copy you should ask joejared at osirusoft.com to become
a slave server, then he would give you one or two addresses to use
as masters.

Also se the comment on http://relays.osirusoft.com :

Notice: Zone transfers are only available to official Name Servers for Relays.OsiruSoft.com. Transfers may only be allowed if you are a large ISP or willing to act as an official name server.

Using a randomly choosen nameserver will stop at any moment ( if the owner
stops zonetransfers ), then your spamfilter will break.

The zone is huge, so you might end up with more traffic then just using it
via normal dns-lookups.

Using relays.osirusoft.com as spamfilter is an excellent way of preventing
your mailservers becoming a spam-toilet. Highly recommended !

--
Peter Håkanson