Docs and howto for running a public nameserver

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Aug 14 23:33:50 UTC 2002

Alexander Newald wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I know about setting up bind. Bind 9 is running in local network as dns for
> the local net. The question is more if I simply can use the normal setup for
> public use (Ok, change to real domain names and real public ip)?
>
> I know that I need to have two diffrent ip networks for primary and
> secoundary ns.
>
> What about if the reverse lookup for the ip of the primary ns do not resolve
> to the domain name I have choosen for the primary dns (The ip is 1.2.3.4
> with resolves to gateway.me.com and the primary should have ns1.me.com which
> is also ip 1.2.3.4)
>
> Do I need to "register" or announce my dns somewhere to make it available or
> do I simply use ns1.me.com and ns2.me.com when registering the domains?

Your registrar should automatically create a "host" record for each of the
nameservers specified in your registration, if those "host" records don't
already exist.

Some registrars are picky about reverse resolution. If you're registering in
.com, then I doubt any of those registrars care, but if you're registering in a
country-code domain (e.g. .de), then they might care.

- Kevin