odd problem with named-xfer

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Thu Aug 15 14:03:32 UTC 2002

At 11:13 AM 8/8/02, Steve Foster wrote:

>hi there,
>
>i am trying to use named-xfer to get a domains info, ( we are allowed to
>axfr it) , but i am getting the following error in daemon.log:
>
>named-xfer[2204]: premature EOF, fetching "<some-domain>"
>
>It works for all other domains on this primary, they all named-xfer
>perfectly, however i can also dig axfr it as well, so i know i have access,
>it just won't let me named-xfer it....
>i have turned the debug level up on named-xfer, but it is telling me
>nothing , not even a refused message, all i get is:
>
>domain `<somedomain>'; file `/var/tmp/zone'; serial 0
>zone found (2): "<somedomain>", source = /var/tmp/zone
>addrcnt = 1
>getzone() <somedomain> secondary
>address [<primary IP>] AXFR
>connecting to server #1 [<primary IP>].53
>close(6) succeeded
>
>and thats it.....the error messaghe suggest the far end is closing the
>connection , but we have tried removing zone information from the primaries
>zonefile but to no avail..

Correct.  You need to look at the master to find out what's going on.
named-xfr is expectng more data and the other end has closed the
connection.

Is this a large zone? Also is the master running BIND 8 on WIn32?
There has been a problem with BIND 8 on Win32 which has not been
found. It's subtle, but it requires more than one 64K TCP packet to
do the transfer, but closes the connection after the first packet.

Danny