W2K multi-master features

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 15 15:16:59 UTC 2002

Barry Finkel wrote:

> My conclusion is that in a multi-master
> setup, the handling of zone serial numbers is very complex.

Since, to a first approximation at least, this is a
monotonically increasing number, it should be easy to replicate
in a multimaster database. Just take the biggest of your current
value and the update.

My conclusion would be that Microsoft DNS server has unresolved
bugs, and since it is something so basic, it would seem to call
their replication schema into question.

Now if you want IXFR with replication - urm well maybe you
should have waited for a standard!

I think QIP allows you to pass DHCP updates straight to the QIP
backend database, thus ensuring that the data is not lost when
the primary DNS is down, but I haven't seen it in action, and
you have to use QIP DHCP from what I recall. I can find you a
guru who knows ;)

With W2K clients I think they will reattempt the update
regularly, so it all depends how crucial that information is to
you, in most companies servers don't use dynamic IP addresses,
and client IP isn't that crucial, so you are left with just
finding the AD service in the first place, and you may decide
you don't want the location of such service to change too
easily.