W2K multi-master features

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Fri Aug 16 21:08:39 UTC 2002

> Nice to see that you are recommending your customers lock themselves into
the
> products of a convicted monopolist.
>
> The original poster mentioned that they were already running QIP, an
> industrial-strength DHCP and address management platform and, as I've
heard, a
> quite pricey one at that. Why oh why would they dump that significant
> money/time/resource investment in favor of Microsoft's DHCP
implementation?

> (Yes, this is starting to drift somewhat off-topic, but since QIP's
> DNS component is BIND-based and the answer to my question quite likely
involves
> the issue of DNS<->DHCP integration, I don't think it is yet off-topic
enough
> to be taken off this list).

The original poster also mentioned that they were implementing Win2K Active
Directory.  Sounds like they've already made the business decision to go
with Microsoft.

If they're going to invest the time and money in Win2K Active Directory,
there's no better DHCP and DNS tools for that environment than M$'s tools,
and none that will integrate with AD other than M$'s.  And it really will
lower their total cost of ownership in the long run because its so much
easier to administer in the Win2K AD environment.

Now, if they weren't running (or going to run) Win2K AD, then I would stick
with the tools they are using, since M$'s NT4 and prior tools were
essentially non-functional.

Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting  Services
(http://www.GryphonsGate.com)