root servers list changing?

Cricket Liu cricket at menandmice.com
Mon Aug 19 15:57:15 UTC 2002

> > Well, I'm not exactly sure what you mean.  If you mean DNS jargon,
> > yeah, it absolutely uses a lot of jargon.  I would count any book on
> > DNS as remiss that didn't introduce you to a lot of DNS jargon.
>
> I think the bit of jargon I particularly didn't like is
> the root cache file.  It's called a cache file but it isn't
> really a cache file, as far as I can see.  Also, it has many
> names:
>     db.cache (in the book)
>     named.root (from rs.internic.net)
>     named.ca    (another variant I think I've seen)
>     root.cache
>     etc...

I'm not sure how--or even whether--to respond to this.  Saying that
you don't like the fact that it's called (or was called) the cache file is
like saying you morally object to a name server being called a slave.
I didn't make up the terminology, I just documented it.

Anyway, the fourth edition uses the term "root hints file" almost
exclusively.

cricket

Men & Mice
DNS Software, Training and Consulting
www.menandmice.com

Attend our next DNS and BIND class!  See
http://www.menandmice.com/DNS-training/
for the schedule and to register for upcoming classes