DNS Zone question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 20 01:45:51 UTC 2002

David Klemp wrote:

> I am looking for a detailed explanation of setting up the files that
> support zones. I need to have a structure such as this:
>
> domain A:
>                     domain-a.com
>                     subname1.domain-a.com
>                     subname2.domain-a.com
>
> domain B:
>                     domain-b.com
>                     subname3.domain-b.com
> All of these domains exist on one class C subnet.
>
> Now, way in the past, in resolv.conf I did very little. But now, I see a
> lot of scripting to define zones, and a lot of emphasis is now on
> reverse lookup in this scripting.

Why don't you post an example of this "scripting", and we can tell you
(hopefully) what it's trying to do and how it's trying to do it. Otherwise,
all we can offer is vague speculation.

Example of vague speculation: other than DHCP-driven stuff, resolv.conf
generally isn't the target of scripts; named.conf and zone files themselves
are far more likely to be script-munging targets.

> So, point me to the font of info,
>   please

The most frequently recommended "font" around these parts is the
_DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly (Fourth Edition is the latest and best).