one domain, multiple mail IP's?

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Thu Aug 22 14:22:56 UTC 2002

"Alan Murrell" <swasak at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:ak1i35$31v5$1 at isrv4.isc.org...

> Hi There,
>
> I am almost positive this cannot be done but thought I'd ask before
> telling the Customer so :-)
>
> Our customer has the following mail/MX record setup:
>
> @      IN   MX   10   mail.domain.com
> mail   IN   A         192.168.1.1
>
> (Note: IP address and domain changed to private IP and "generic"
> domain name for security reasons).  He wants to keep the current IP
> address as "default", and have a second IP address, 10.1.1.1 (again,
> IP changed for security reasons) as a backup.  Unfortunately, I'm only
> a fill-in until a "real" sysadmin gets hired, and so whie I know a
> little bit about DNS, I am no wizard.  Is what the Customer requesting
> possible, or at least way too complicated to implement?
>
> I know it's possible to have multiple MX records, but I'm not sure
> that's what he's requesting.  Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Yes, that sounds like what he wants.

@ IN MX 10 mail.domain.com. ; note the dot added.
@ IN MX 20 backup-mail.domain.com.
mail IN A 192.168.1.1
backup-mail IN A 10.1.1.1

mail sent to domain.com will first try mail.domain.com.  If it's not
available, it will try backup-mail.domain.com.  It is left as an exercise
for you to ensure that any mail delivered to backup-mail.domain.com can get
delivered to mail.domain.com.