ip-address won't change

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Thu Aug 22 17:31:00 UTC 2002

Till Eifert <till at physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:

> hi,

> I have a strange problem with the ip-address of my old nameserver:

> When I try to ping ns.unitedkings.net it will fail because it still uses the
> old ip-address (212.87.38.52) which is wrong.
> Then, I used the command dig to see what the responsible nameservers say. I
> started with
> dig @a.root-servers.net net ns
> to see who is responsible for net. Then I just took the first ns entry:
> dig @j.gtld-servers.net unitedkings.net ns
> this got me the answers:
> unitedkings.net.        172800  IN      NS      NS8.WORLDSERVER.net.
> unitedkings.net.        172800  IN      NS      NS7.WORLDSERVER.net.

> So, with dig @ns8.worldserver.net ns.unitedkings.net
> I received the result:
> ns.unitedkings.net.     259200  IN      A       217.13.197.87

> This is the correct address. Now, why is this address not used by ping or
> any internet browser?

> Thank you for any help.

> Till Eifert

You seem to have a gluerecord for ns.unitedkings.net :
> dig ns.unitedkings.net  @C.GTLD-SERVERS.net.

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> ns.unitedkings.net @C.GTLD-SERVERS.net.
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr rd; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;      ns.unitedkings.net, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
ns.unitedkings.net.     2D IN A         212.87.38.52

--
Peter Håkanson