simple question

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 27 00:34:13 UTC 2002

Mike Pond wrote:

> I want to setup 2 dns servers a primary and secondary
> but i am puzzled about the domain name of the servers
>
> how will this be established, meaning the "ns1" part
> of the domain name. (please explain)
>
> ns1.dns.com
> ns2.dns.com

Generally speaking, the name of a DNS server is no different than any
other name: to "establish" it, you just add an A record. The only tricky
part is that if the name of a nameserver is in the domain that it is
serving, e.g. ns1.dns.com serving the dns.com domain, then another
"glue" record needs to be present in the parent zone, and both of these
A records need to be updated if the address changes.