Split DNS questions

jeff donovan jdonovan at dns.beth.k12.pa.us
Thu Aug 29 18:18:41 UTC 2002

greetings

Currently I have a DNS system running BIND 8 on my external Network.
This is my primary and master for my zones and it faces the Internet.

I have created an Internal Network with private ip addresses. They
can query the external dns system with no problem however I need to
set up a local DNS for the Local servers. From what I have read I can
set up and Internal master and an external master.

(Please Correct me if I'm wrong)

My internal Name Server will supply local forward and reverse of my
private addresses  and my real addresses, and any other query shall
be " forwarded " to the external server.

This sounds to me like it should work however i have never set this
up before. is there anything special i need to do on the external DNS
server to accept forwarded queries from the internal?

Can I have basically have a duplicate server with just the addition
of the private Names and the forward statement?

insight and flames welcome :)

Thanks

--j