views problem- Nameserver cannot resolve properly

Adrian Bolzan Adrian.Bolzan at aot.com.au
Fri Aug 30 02:48:53 UTC 2002

Hello,

I am trying to set up views on our main DNS server.
apollo is our nameserver.
We are using bind v9.2.1 on RedHat 7.2.

It will use the external view for its own resolution of domains we host.

It resolves domains it hosts correctly:
[root at apollo etc]# host aot.com.au
aot.com.au has address 203.44.223.3
(this is the IP address of aot.com.au in the external view)

However, it does not resolve domains it does not host:
[root at apollo etc]# host qr.com.au
[root at apollo etc]# host hotmail.com
[root at apollo etc]#

when I remove views (and use our old named.conf) qr.com.au resolves:
[root at apollo etc]# host qr.com.au
qr.com.au has address 203.147.254.162

On the other hand, servers that use apollo as the nameserver (and are
"internal") can resolve hosts on the internet:
[root at hermod etc]# host qr.com.au
qr.com.au has address 203.147.254.162
(hermod is a server on the internal LAN)

and get the "internal" IP address for our own addresses, which is the
correct behaviour:
[root at hermod adrian]# host aot.com.au
aot.com.au has address 210.8.221.22
(this is the internal IP address of aot.com.au)

Why would the name server not be able to resolve domain names it
does not host?
My named.conf with views is below.

Thanks fo rany help,

adrian

----------------- named.conf ---------------------

// reduce log verbosity on issues outside our control
logging {
        category lame-servers { null; };
};

options {
        directory "/var/named";
        forwarders { 139.130.4.4; };
};

// Set up Internal and External views

view "internal" {
        match-clients { 192.168.20.1/32; 210.8.221.0/24; };
        recursion yes;
        notify no;
        // prime the server with knowledge of the root servers
        zone "." {
                type hint;
                file "internal-dns/db.root";
        };

        // be authoritative for the localhost forward and reverse zones, and
for
        // broadcast zones as per RFC 1912
        zone "localhost" {
                type master;