DNS propagation time

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Sat Aug 31 14:25:28 UTC 2002

> I modified the name servers on a domain two days ago, and the change has
> propagated to only one name server to which I have remote access. Has
> anyone noticed a slow down in propagation time in the last few days? The
> reason I ask is I paid a high price to a cybersquatter for the name, and
> I am anxious to makes sure that it is mine before I release the escrow
> funds.

	The question doesn't make sense.  DNS data doesn't propogate
	out.  It propogates between the nameservers for the zone or in
	the case of delegation information the parent zone, its servers.
	After that it is fetched on demand (if not already known) and
	cached for the specified period.

	What zone?
	What do you think the nameservers should be (names and addresses)?
	What were the old servers (names and addresses)?

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org