DNS propagation time

Len Conrad LConrad at Go2France.com
Sat Aug 31 18:43:35 UTC 2002

>As you can tell from my question, I do not understand DNS very well.

Then it's a good time to unlearn that "propagation" concept in the DNS
context.  :))   There is no such thing.

The instant that records are put into a DNS, they are immediately,
instantaneously available, Internet-wide, to the very next query that
arrives.

The problem is, the queries do not arrive from DNSs that have the old
records cached.  That is, "cache lag", not propagation.

That propagation misnomer,  suggesting "DNS ripples spreading across in the
Internet pond", refers to the time it takes for the modified records to
expire from DNS caches.  The max for this is simply the TTL of the modified
records.

Len