root servers list changing?

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Sun Aug 4 23:21:56 UTC 2002

Hi,
I manage some machines behind a whole string
of (someone elses) firewalls, through which our
queries are forwarded.

The problem I am seeing is that my apparent
list of root servers is changing -- and I haven't
done anything on our local dns.

WHen I did "nslookup -type=any c.root-servers.net",
as part of the reply I get a list of the authoritative
root servers.  The other day, I got four from the
root-servers.net range.

Today, I get A through to M of gtld-servers.net.

WHat's going on?  Can I blame my upstream provider,
or is this some transition going on on the wider net.

Matt