What does "update failed foo.com 2" mean ?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Aug 5 21:50:08 UTC 2002

likun at asiainfo.com wrote:

> Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<aiejkm$7l98$1 at isrv4.isc.org>...
> >
> > They might have started out the same, but if either of them were queried independently of the other
> > before both timed out, then one of the cache entries could have been "refreshed", then they would
> > have differing TTLs and would expire at different times.
> >
> to my understand, as long as the date is in the cache, it can't be
> "refreshed" just because of a query, the date can't get refreshed
> until it's expired.

The typical scenario is:

1) glue A record gets into the cache
2) the same A record shows up in the answer section of a response because a name was queried which was
an alias (CNAME) for that A record

In that scenario, the cached A record would be "refreshed" because the data in #2 is considered of equal
or higher credibility.

Another scenario would be where the same nameserver is delegated for 2 or more domains. As soon as the
nameserver sees the glue for the second domain, it'll refresh the cached A record.