root servers list changing?

Matthew Hannigan mlh at zip.com.au
Tue Aug 6 02:47:33 UTC 2002

On Mon, Aug 05, 2002 at 11:28:17PM +0000, Paul Vixie wrote:

> Matthew Hannigan <mlh at zip.com.au> writes:
>
> > I forgot to mention that I also got the message
> >      check_root: 1 root servers ater query to root server < min
> > message for a while.  And I had not changed my dns setup, which
> > had been working fine.
>
> this means BIND is trying to re-prime since the cached ". NS" TTL is
> too low, and it is not getting good answers.  this can mean that your
> root.cache file is corrupt, and is pointing at a server that is not
> answering the question correctly (though not so incorrectly as to cause
> the answer to be rejected by the cache).  or it can mean that your host
> is firewalled off from the root servers in a way that these priming
> queries aren't getting answered at all.  either way, that is the real
> trouble spot, and the fact that "dig" gives inconsistent results is
> only a symptom.

This 2nd last one is the answer; I'm behind a maze of twisty name servers,
all different.  This thread is about me getting enough information to
crack over the head of my upstream name service providers.

> what does "dig @f.root-servers.net . ns" say?

I'm behind a firewall, so 'timeout' :)

> you could also try the bind9 operations guide.  it's in the kit and on the
> web, as a pdf file.

Thanks

Matt
PS. FWIW it's not zip's net that I'm discussing above.