how to identify DNS request source?

David Botham dns at botham.net
Thu Aug 8 21:24:58 UTC 2002

IP

So, you know the source IP address of the request.

> address block which includes the requestor's IP address. How can we
> find out who and what the offending culprit is? BTW we are not

Are you asking something like "Hey, is there a master directory of all
IP addresses on the planet that can tell me that name, address, and
telephone number for each IP address in use, in real-time?"

No. There is not.  You have the source IP and the responsible ISP.  Call
the Net-Block admin/tech contact on the phone or send them an email.
Send them your logs, and tell them what you are upset about.

Dave...