views?

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 9 21:05:07 UTC 2002

Vassil Dimitrov wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have 2 nameservers.
> One is running outside and is a master for some domains.
> The other is inhouse which is neither a master nor a slave for any domain.
> It is used only by the local computers in the company to resolve internet
> names.
>
> What I want to do is set these 2 nameservers in such a way, that
> host1.domain.com is resolved to a real public IP from the internet, and
> from inside the company it is resolved to a local private IP.
> But I don't want to have both name servers acting like masters for
> domain.com.
>
> Is there a way to achive that functionality. Maybe using views or whatever?

You'd have to run two different versions of domain.com or some subzone(s)
thereof. Sorry. "view" just allows you to do that within a single nameserver
instance, but doesn't remove the "multiple master zone
definition" requirement. One idea I've had but never had any occasion to try
implementing is to use "view"s and keep all of the data which is common
between both versions of the zone -- internal versus external -- in a file
which is $INCLUDE'd into both zonefiles. The reason I've never had occasion to
implement this is because I maintain all of my DNS data via Dynamic Update,
and this doesn't support the use of $INCLUDE files.