BIND problem - not updating after change and restart

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Aug 12 19:12:05 UTC 2002

StuG <stu_dot at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,

> I've recently made a change to a couple of domains on my server and, for
> whatever reason, the changes haven't propagated.  The changes were made with
> Webmin and it's BIND 8.? running on the server.

> Is this a common problem with BIND, is it something Webmin has done or have
> I f at cked up somewhere?  Pulling my hair out anyway.

No, it's not a common problem with bind, it's a common problem
with tools that hides bind's logfile from the user.

Does bind reload the config and zonefile ?
  if not, correct the errors
if boind reloads, is the serialnumber increased ( hint, use dig
to examine the soa record on both the master and the salve(s) )

If the masters serial is larger, can the slave do a zonetransfer ?
  ( may be tested with dig : dig axfr <zone> @ip-of-master )

Telling us the zone name and the ip-s of nameserver would be
good if you want someone to have a look.

> Thanks,
welcome

--
Peter Håkanson