Strange entries in secondary DNS server

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Mon Dec 2 22:52:14 UTC 2002

sudhakar wrote:

>Hi all,
>My primary DNS server was down for some time and I was wishing that I could
>use the secondary DNS server in the mean time.
>What has happened is that there are strange entries like:
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  2 14:22 db.1.10.10.QrZfBa
>-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            0 Dec  2 14:22 db.1.100.10.N2jGta
>
>I'd appreciate if any of you gurus can explain to me why this is happening
>and how can I come around it.By the way my name resolution has stopped
>working.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Sudhakar

Those are temporary files. The fact that they are zero length is
consistent with the fact that the master is down. However, if you've
managed to get good zone transfers since the EXPIRE values of the
relevant SOA records, the slave should be serving up the zones. If it is
not, there is something else wrong. You'd need to give more details
about your configuration in order for any of us here to make an
intelligent guess as to what might be wrong. Also, do you see anything
of concern in your logfiles?