dig any or nslookup -type=any

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Wed Dec 4 10:56:55 UTC 2002

rh wrote:

> why is it that sometimes the type=any query returns extra
> information such as serial, refresh, or ttl and sometimes
> it doesn't.

My guess is that you are asking recursive resolvers, these may
or may not have the SOA record cached, which is where the
information you refer to is stored.

When you do an "any" query it returns cached data if it exists
or retries the query. So my guess is that the queries that
"worked" were for zones that weren't cached.

If you want to know these values you should query one of the
servers for the domain in question, or request the SOA
specifically.

e.g.

dig @NS1.US.dell.com. dell.com any
dig dell.com soa