can't resolve domain that includes "-"

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Wed Dec 4 17:23:32 UTC 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 11:15:39AM +0100, Alaa Mail wrote:

> Hi every body
>
> my domain name server can't resolve name that includes "-"
> example:
> from my site I try
> host www.iir-conferences.com
> (no respond)
>
> from other site
>
> host www.iir-conferences.com
>
> www.iir-conferences.com is an alias for dynamic.iir-conferences.com.
> dynamic.iir-conferences.com has address 193.122.20.20
>
> my bind server running on tru64 5.1A with BIND version
>
> named 8.2.2-P5-plus-CA-2000-20-plus-CA-2001-02

Are you sure it's the '-' character and not the '_' character?  Older
versions of BIND, such as V8, have problems with the '_' character.
Try using BIND V9.2.1 or later.  [Your version has security
vulnerabilities.]

Wait ... I fixated on what you THOUGHT the problem was.  From "your
site" - and presumably you are talking about one machine, and you have
not tested this on each one of thousands of machines - what is the
setting of your resolver?  Remember that the resolver and the name
server are two SEPARATE parts of BIND, they just work together as a
client and server over the network.  What does /etc/resolv.conf say?