CNAME and other data , BUG #428

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Dec 6 01:04:37 UTC 2002

> Kevin,
> 	These are good points, thank you for the info.
> 	However my question really was , Should a slave server reject the
> zone
> 	with a CNAME error?

	Yes.  Why should anyone expect a server to be coded to accept an
	illegal configuration.

	BIND 4 and early BIND 8 issued warnings thinking that server
	administators were compentent and would correct the errors
	reported.  We know now that a vast number arn't compentent and
	that the only way to get incorrect configurations fixed is to
	make them fail.

	Mark
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org