DNS behind firewall?

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Wed Dec 11 00:00:33 UTC 2002

Technique's the same regardless of the O/S.  The "firewall" (gateway router)
must forward all port 53 UDP and TCP queries to the internal address of the
DNS box, which will reply as it should, assuming it IS configured correctly.
BTW, it should report your public IP address(es) not the internal address.

Off topic for this list, but IIS operates by default on port 80, just like
any other web server.  If you configure it for another port, then it will
operate on that port, but that has nothing to do with your pop-up asking for
ID and Password.  This generally indicates that the "anonymous" user does
not have access to the web pages, or you've configured it to not allow
anonymous access.  Check the first by using Windows Explorer and checking
the security settings on the wwwroot folder and all its sub folders and
files.  Check the second by opening Internet Service Manager, selecting the
website, and click on properties.  Go to the Directory Security tab, and
enable anonymous access (hint:, let IIS manage the account and password).
Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting  Services
(http://www.GryphonsGate.com)
P.O. Box 1151