root servers

Bill Manning bmanning at ISI.EDU
Wed Dec 11 21:50:33 UTC 2002

% Damien SOULIER <damien.soulier at free.fr> wrote:
% > I have one question and i can't find any answer.
% > Why there is only 13 root servers.
% > If someone can give me an answer, it will be fine.
%
% -  13 is enough ( there was 11 some years ago)
% -  13 is pretty much he limit to pack in one answer.
%
% There is no architectural reason for 13, although it
% is a reasonable value.
%
% Measurments on rootservers shows that they are no bottleneck, and
% they are reasonable spreac acrosss the globe.
%
% > Damien
%
% Peter H=E5kanson=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20=20

for the late 1980s and through 1996, there were nine (9) root servers.
in 1996, the root-servers were re-named, allowing the addition of four (4)
more servers, giving us the current number of thirteen (13).  The reason
for this is that a priming query needs to fit within a single unfragmented
UDP packet.

--bill