using slave NS in glue records

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Wed Dec 11 23:05:14 UTC 2002

> Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 10:22:36 -0500
> From: Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com>
>
> Perhaps it would help if you explained what you're trying to accomplish. It
> looks like you're trying to use zone NS records and/or the contents of the
> hints file as a general-purpose forwarding or "override
> forwarding" mechanism. That's doomed to failure. The hints file should only
> contain information about the root zone, and an authoritative server for a
> zone will never "forward" queries anywhere else, regardless of what the
> zone NS records say.
>

> - Kevin

1.  What am I trying to accomplish?

I am trying to have a 'mini-root' server in our DMZ that can/will get
request forwarded to it that will 'tie' our various internal subdomains
together.

We currently have one internal master:  iss; with three 'published'
slave servers: cds2, cds238, and granola.

We have another 'global' Win2K domain that in running the MS active
directory services (aka global.cadence.com).

We have a 'stealth' master in our DMZ that has only NS records that is
currently pointed to by the Win2K services only.

I would like the machine iss to have authoritative info on all internal
hosts with gossip only having info on the nameservers...

I am trying to find a way to have gossip have only pointers to the
various subdomains such that it will forward queries correctly to th
various subdomains.  My machine metis is set up as I would like to have
gossip set up, but it does not resolve ANYTHING other than the
nameservers for cadence.com and hosts outside of cadence.com...

2.  The 'hacked' db.cache (hints db...)

The idea was to force all requests for DNS info to go to our external
name server and have it resolve anything other than .cadence.com.
Thus, all internal slaves would point to ns.cadence.com instead of
pointing to the root servers...  Unfortunately, as pointed out already,
this does not work since BIND figures out, on its own, where the REAL
root servers are located...  However, ...

Any ideas?  Any thoughts, ideas, attempts to point me in the right
direction will be appreciated.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

> [...]
> > dc2sjroot          IN A         158.140.128.41
> > granola            IN A         158.140.128.35
> > iss                IN A         158.140.32.1
> > metis              IN A         158.140.48.93
> >
> > --------/etc/named.conf --------------------
> > options {
> >         directory        "/var/yp/nameserver";
> >         //
> >         //the db.cache file below references only ns.cadence.com.
> >         //because of the firewall, it does not talk directly with
> >         //the root servers of the internet
> >         //
> >         //
> >         //the forwarder for ns.cadence.com, below is no typo. it is
> >         //mentioned twice to change the behavior of bind. see p. 143
> >         //of the first ed of _dns & bind_
> >         //
> >         forwarders       {
> >                 158.140.128.140;
> >                 158.140.32.1;
> >          };
> >         //
> >         //the slave keyword causes dns to only do recursive queries.
> >         //
> >
> > };
> >
> > key "rndc-key" {
> >         algorithm hmac-md5;
> >         secret "secret-password";
> > };
> >
> > controls {
> >         inet 127.0.0.1 port 953
> >                 allow { 127.0.0.1; } keys { "rndc-key"; };
> > };
> >
> > zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.127.0.0";
> >         notify no;
> > };
> >
> >  zone "Cadence.COM" in {
> >         type master;
> >         file "db.Cadence.ns";
> > #       masters { 158.140.128.1; };
> > };
> >
> >  zone "99.139.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type slave;
> >         file "db.139.99";
> >         masters { 158.140.128.1; };
> > };
> >
> >  zone "140.158.in-addr.arpa" in {
> >         type slave;
> >         file "db.158.140";
> >         masters { 158.140.128.1; };
> > };
> >
> >  zone "." in {
> >         type hint;
> >         file "db.cache";
> > };
> > ---------- end of /etc/named.conf ----------------
> >
> > ---------- db.cache ------------------------------
> > ; This is a hacked version of the db.cache to fake cds238 into believing
> > ; that all requests should go through the firewall.  If you replace this
> > ; with the db.cache from Internic, it won't work as expected.
> > ;
> > ; grif 9/15/97
> > ;
> >
> > ..                       3600000  IN  NS    ns.cadence.com.
> > ..                       3600000  IN  NS    gossip.cadence.com
> > ns.cadence.com.          3600000  IN  A     158.140.1.253
> > gossip.cadence.com.      3600000  IN  A     158.140.2.50

Gregory Hicks                        | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems               | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1          | Fax:      408.894.3400
San Jose, CA 95134                   | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

"The trouble with doing anything right the first time is that nobody
appreciates how difficult it was."

When a team of dedicated individuals makes a commitment to act as
one...  the sky's the limit.