Master for root and per-zone forwarding

Tim Maestas tmaestas at dnsconsultants.com
Sat Dec 14 00:24:58 UTC 2002

> I think you've answered your own question. Per-domain forwarding only
> works when the domain is actually delegated. So you need to delegate
> *and* define the zone as "type forward".
>
> At least this is true in BIND 8. I haven't played around with forwarding
> much in BIND 9, so I'm not sure if it is the same in this regard. I've
> always found the delegation requirement to be rather counter-intuitive:
> since you're forwarding, why should you even care whether the domain is
> delegated or not?
>

>                                                         - Kevin

Kevin, thanks for the reponse.  I'm glad I'm not going crazy.  Out of
curiosity, is this BIND 8 requirement of delegating AND type forwarding
documented anywhere?  Also, do you know what happens if your delegation is
to different servers than are listed in your forwarders list in the type
forward zone?  Which servers actually get sent the query?

Thanks.

-Tim