Help in faking out BIND for inside view.

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Tue Dec 17 18:20:43 UTC 2002

On 17 Dec 2002 09:15:56 -0000, Nick Ellson wrote:
> I need a method of trapping an outside DNS name in my internal view so
> my internal users use the inside IP instead of the one my firewall
> give out to the external view. This is the only case where i am not
> SOA for this record, another agency is pointing their DNS at me for a
> short period (and using my outside static Ip mapping on a PIX
> firewall) but my users on the inside can't obviously use that address.

So... you have a server, let's say 172.16.10.1  Outside of the firewall,
it's seen as 10.10.20.1.  An external source is providing DNS for
domaina.com, and server.domaina.com resolves to 10.10.20.1, and you want
internal users to see it as 172.16.10.1  Is that correct?

Just run a zone for domaina.com yourself.  Do an AXFR, and just replace
that one record.  Or I suppose you could push hosts files out to your
workstations.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/