Dumb virt host question

Mark_Andrews at isc.org Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Fri Dec 20 01:44:17 UTC 2002

> Hello,
>
> if a dns server is to serve dns for multiple virtual domains, how should
> the zone file look.. To be more clear here is what Im working with....
>
> www.taproot.bz virt host web and mail for a few domains using
> one IP. ns.taproot.bz is the dns server for all the virt domains hosted
> as well as taproot.bz. When i make a zone file on NS.taproot.bz
> for a domain..let say devnull.bz, it looks like this...
>

> $TTL 86400
> @       IN      SOA     www.  root.localhost (

	The MNAME and RNAME fields above are invalid.
	MNAME should be "NS.TAPROOT.bz." not "www." which does not exist.
	RNAME should be "lug.taproot.bz." or an otherwise valid
	global email address.  There is no "localhost" on this zone also
	localhost in normally not a valid global reachable hostname.
	The field is for reporting errors detected with the zone.

>                         1020 ; serial
>                         28800 ; refresh
>                         7200 ; retry
>                         604800 ; expire
>                         86400 ; ttl
>                         )
>

> @       IN      NS      ns
> @       IN      NS      ns2

	I suggest that rather than adding a glue records for every zone
	that you use the real names of the nameservers here.

	@ IN NS NS.TAPROOT.bz.
	@ IN NS <real name of 209.155.168.147>

> @       IN      MX      10      www
> www     IN      MX      10      www
>
> @       IN      A       209.155.171.204
> www     IN      A       209.155.171.204
> ns      IN      A       209.155.168.146
> ns2     IN      A       209.155.168.147

	Remove the ns and ns2 entries.

> dnsreport.com reports ns.devnull.bz as primary name server for
> devnull.bz.I would like it to be ns.taproot.bz instead. But if
> I type ns.taproot.bz anywhere in the zone file...dnsreport
> says ns.taproot.bz.devnull.bz is the primary name server.Either

	I suspect that you didn't have ns.taproot.bz fully qualified
	in the zone when you made the test.  Take care to ensure
	those entries that should be absolute are and those that
	shouldn't be arn't.  It looks like you make both mistakes.

PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark.Andrews at isc.org