Log of unresolved DNS queries?

Simon Waters Simon at wretched.demon.co.uk
Sun Dec 22 22:51:35 UTC 2002

activeco at home.nl wrote:

> Does anyone know of a possibility to get a log of unresolved dns
> queries (especially .coms) for any time period, preferably from a
> root server; hourly, daily, doesn't matter?
> Any address, tool, anything which could return asked non-existent
> locations.

Packet tracing like ethereal should easily catch all NXDOMAIN
answers whizzing through an interfaces I would have thought.

Saying what/why do you want to know, might make it easier to
answer.

I don't understand the root server reference, do you mean an
authoritative server?

The root servers would not know about failed ".com" lookup's as
they would refer such a request to the GTLD servers, who would
return NXDOMAIN.

I assume "unresolved" means none existent domains, which DO
resolve, to a negative answer. i.e. an authoritative server says
it doesn't exist.

It is not uncommon to have reverse lookups fail due to erroneous
configurations, BIND 9 lists some of these as lame, which can be
confusing.