Bandwidth usage of a DNS server?

John Oliver joliver at john-oliver.net
Fri Dec 27 18:33:50 UTC 2002

On 27 Dec 2002 08:02:35 -0000, Bradley C. Goldsmith wrote:
> 	Not having any practical experience in this regard, I would just like
> get an idea of how much bandwidth I would expect a DNS service to consume
> when hosting domain records for a couple hundred websites.

Very little.  For all intents and purposes, negligible.

> 	Also, are there any disadvantages (besides redundancy etc) on
> hosting the primary nameserver on the same box as the webserver to
> minimise rackspace?

Security.  bind is one of those programs that's been known to have a
large numbr of rmote root exploits in the past.  If another turns up,
it's possible that a cracker could use it to break into your
(hypothetically) otherwise-secure web server.  However, you can run bind
in a chroot, and do many other things to make it as secure as possible.

--
John Oliver, CCNA                            http://www.john-oliver.net/
Linux/UNIX/network consulting         http://www.john-oliver.net/resume/