No errors starting up, but no response from Named either..

Mark Damrose mdamrose at elgin.cc.il.us
Tue Feb 5 21:24:56 UTC 2002

"Ronald Landheer" <ronald.landheer at minisat.com> wrote in message
news:a3p896$o14 at pub3.rc.vix.com...

> Hello all,
>
> Named is behaving rather strangely: from both the localhost and the
internal
> network, there are no problems at all, but though it does listen on port
53
> of the external IP address,

You've verified this with netstat?

it doesn't respond to anything anymore (but used
> to work just fine).
> Without any firewall running, this is what I get when I do nmap -P0 -p53
> from the internal, and from the external network
> internal:
> Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA22 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
> Interesting ports on  (192.168.2.1):
> Port       State       Service
> 53/tcp     open        domain
>
> External:
> Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA30 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
> Interesting ports on AMontsouris-101-2-1-97.abo.wanadoo.fr
(193.251.54.97):
> Port       State       Service
> 53/tcp     filtered    domain
>
> I am sure that port 53 is not filtered.. :(

Not filtered by a firewall on your own box?
Not filtered by a firewall elsewhere on the network?
Does any other traffic work on that interface - are you sure the network
interface is working?  Bad cable?  Bad hub/switch?
What does your routing table look like?
Do you have a misconfigured router upstream?

> dig +norec @localhost minisat.net provides (on the server in question):
> ; <<>> DiG 9.2.0 <<>> +norec @localhost minisat.net
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;minisat.net.                   IN      A
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> minisat.net.            259200  IN      A       193.251.54.97
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> minisat.net.            259200  IN      NS      hotbird.minisat.net.
> minisat.net.            259200  IN      NS      ns.beryte.com.
>
> ;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
> hotbird.minisat.net.    259200  IN      A       193.251.54.97
> ns.beryte.com.          153937  IN      A       193.107.136.24
>
> ;; Query time: 17 msec
> ;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(localhost)
> ;; WHEN: Mon Feb  4 18:20:50 2002
> ;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 126
>
> dig +norec @192.168.2.1 minisat.net (from a development server) provides
the
> same thing.
> dig +norec @193.251.54.97 minisat.net (from a server outside the network)
> times out.

I was going to ask if you had tested from anywhere else, to see if it might
be a communication problem between these two machines, but it doesn't work
from here either.  I can't dig.  nmap fails on all ports, and traceroute
does not reach you.

Could you be having a problem with your ISP?  Is anything else using this
Internet connection?

> Version: bind-8.2.2_P7-1
>
> My question: will upgrading to 8.3.1 help?
> Any pointers?

I think this is a communications problem not a BIND problem, so no.  8.2.2
does have some serious vulnerabilities, so you should upgrade anyway.