1351 PTRs for 1 IP

Pawel Rogocz pawel at rogocz.com
Tue Feb 5 20:41:19 UTC 2002

Just to clarify:

I do *not* administer the server in question. It was something I
saw, when my server was making a request.

I think the DNS server should be happy with whatever answer it gets over
UDP, as I do not think any application is capable of making use of all
3 x 65535 records, plus you have always a chance of overflowing some buffers
somewhere, when you get more data then you were expecting.
511 bytes is enough for me to get what I want, I do not need all 3 x 65535
records that could be stuffed in the response.

Blocking TCP queries would be a security measure to prevent rogue
servers from sending too much data, more then I really care to get.

An old bug from sendmail comes to mind, when by sending a malformed identd
response you could take over a server.

Pawel